A lead generation magnet is designed to do one thing:
To attract your ideal target market, in their top of funnel phase and provide them with helpful and typically free information, in exchange for their contact information.
Hence the term “Magnet”.
Essentially, you’re getting people to say “yes I need help with that, I’m interested” and attracting them to respond to you.
If you’re a marketer and/or business owner, it doesn’t matter what your business is – whether you provide professional services, own a Retail store or run a SaaS company, a lead generation magnet is one of the most tried and tested marketing principles to help you create sales opportunities, and a fundamental element that you should be applying in your marketing strategy.
In this guide, we’re going to walk you through a complete step-by-step guide on building a lead generation magnet that will help you:
- 1. Attract the right type of prospects.
- 2. Get those prospects to willingly respond to your messages and provide you with their contact information.
- 3. Position your (and your business) as an EXPERT in your industry, immediately setting you apart from your competition.
- 4. Create an opportunity to provide value and sell – purely from the information you provide.
- 5. Establish trust and credibility with your market.
- 6. Set a “buying expectation” with your prospects – that points to you being the best and obvious choice to help them with their goals.
Why do we need Lead Generation Magnets?
In our Turbo Charge your Lead Generation Guide, you’ll see that we talk about the funnel strategy, more specifically, using top of the funnel (TOFU), middle of the funnel (MOFU) and bottom of funnel (BOFU) lead capture points to move a prospect through a marketing funnel and create marketing sales opportunities.
So, this is where lead generation magnets help us develop that funnel structure.
Regardless of what industry you operate in, your prospects take a series of actions before they become customers. It’s our job as business owners and marketers to know what those actions are and turn those into lead conversion points to move someone from their ‘Considering decisions’ to the goal of ‘Purchasing’.
Before you start thinking about what type of information you need to create, it’s important to understand your buyer journey funnel and how you would develop lead generation magnets for your buyer’s key decision stages.
TOFU – Top of the Funnel
This is your ideal prospect, that is in the very early stages of their buying journey. They fit your buyer profile, have a need for your product or service however they aren’t ready to purchase. In other words, they’re researching.
Examples of lead generation magnets you would use for prospects in this stage:
- A free information resource download in exchange for their name and email – for example an eBook, Whitepaper, Template or Product Brochure
|Industry||Lead Generation Magnet Examples|
|Accountant||Take the quiz: Are you ready to become a business owner|
|eCommerce Store||Joined the mailing list to receive 10% off your first purchase|
|Real Estate||Download a floorplan for an off-the-plan apartment|
Turn TOFU leads to sales with email
The fundamentals for effective lead generation email nurturing. How to turn your emails into revenue.
MOFU – Middle of the Funnel
This is your ideal prospect, that have shown interest in your product or service, are familiar with what you can help them with, but they are now looking for proof before they commit to a purchase decision.
Examples of lead generation magnets you would use for prospects in this stage:
- Free Information that will help them qualify the product fit in exchange for their name, email, phone, company name and budget – for example free trial software, video walk-throughs, events/workshops/webinars or survey forms to help them narrow down their options.
|Industry||Lead Generation Magnet Examples|
|Accountant||Sign up for a free course with a financial planner on how to start a business and understand structures|
|eCommerce Store||Engaged with a % off promotion and added items to their shopping cart|
|Real Estate||Registered to attend a Home Open event|
BOFU – Bottom of the Funnel
This is your ideal prospect, that has identified their needs and determined a solution fit with your products or services and are ready to consider purchasing or speaking to your sales team.
Typically lead generation magnets are not required for BOFU leads as they have likely completed the following actions:
- Submitted a request on your website for a call or meeting
- Submitted a request on your website for more information or asked a direct question
- Made a direct phone call to you
- Made a direct purchase on your website
What to put in your Lead Generation Magnet?
It’s important to note, when you start the process of developing your lead generation magnet, anchor yourself back to these two objectives:
- 1. It must appeal to what your target market is looking for – therefore, it’s a must that you understand your target market intimately.
- 2. You must give your target market something of EXTREME value.
Always be selling, by always giving value-real value that will help your prospects with a problem, develop trust in what you have to offer, and in turn, build a network of advocates for your products and services.
One of the most important things to realise, is that we’re in a world of scepticism, which makes our jobs as marketers just that bit more challenging.
Before your prospects engage with anything you put out there, they will automatically default to “this information is probably going to be a time waste, is it even worth my effort reading/watching it?”.
While this scepticism is a challenge, it’s also a HUGE opportunity.
It’s an opportunity for you to actually blow them away and make them feel good about what you’ve done for them.
And as we understand from our own consumer behaviour, when we deal with someone that feels good about what they’ve helped us with, we start to trust and like that person/business. And when you leave a person with that feeling of trust, how much easier have we just made our job to make the sale.
So, when you’re developing your lead generation magnet, always anchor back to these two objectives so that you are solution driven towards the key problems faced by your target market.
- Know your prospects and the problems you can immediately alleviate – with your expertise and information, before they become customers.
- Establish credibility by addressing what you’ve done for others (like them) or what makes you qualified to provide this solution.
- And remember “Always be selling, by always giving real-value”. In other words, know what call-to-action you want your prospects to take, once they’ve consumed and/or actioned the information you provided.
Which leads us to building the structure of your lead generation magnet.
Step 1: Start with the end in mind
Before you start developing your lead generation magnet, it’s important to understand your end goal objectives and what you need to achieve them.
That is, what action do you want your prospects to take once they have shown interest in your lead generation magnet.
- Book an appointment with your office
- Sign up for a free trial
- Register for a course, event, webinar or workshop
- Make a purchase from your website
Remember, the goal of your lead generation magnet is to create an opportunity for you to sell your solutions to your prospect’s problems, and ultimately turn them into paying customers. So, it’s important to be very clear on what action you want them to take to ensure your lead generation magnet delivers a solution and guides your prospect to take action with you.
Step 2: It’s about your customer, not you
If you want to sell with your content, then you need to make it about your prospects. More specifically, you need to influence people by creating content that’s easy to consume, provides them with actionable takeaways and lets them learn about all the solutions you can offer.
As much as we want prospects to be interested in us, the hard reality is that they simply don’t care.
They care about what’s in it for them – it’s human behaviour. So, everything you deliver in your lead generation magnet must relate back to how it can help them overcome a challenge.
Here are 3 ways that you can influence your market with your lead generation magnet, so that you can make sales:
- 1. Results: If there’s anything more important than making it about “them” it’s making it about their “results”. If this article was all about us and how we create amazing lead generation magnets, you would likely lose interest …fast! If we simply told YOU how important it is for YOU to create good lead generation magnets, you already know this that’s why you’re here reading this right now. You’re here so that you can get RESULTS so we’re teaching you how to influence your market with lead generation magnets – and how doing this well can lead to sales and more revenue for your business.
- 2. How to get the results: Therefore, we going to use language like “So that you can” or “Here’s what to do”. Naturally we want to talk about the features and benefits of our products and services. But jump back to point 1, if you want to sell you have to talk about how your solutions can help your prospects get the results they want. Using language like “So that you can” or “Here’s what to do” can be a powerful tool to help you do just that.For example, if you’re selling free workshops on that fundamentals of property development and sub-division as your lead generation magnet, here’s how we might pitch it a benefit based on results that your prospects want:“This workshop is going to make it easy for you to understand the fundamentals of reverse engineering the process of sub-dividing so that you can perform a proper feasibility assessment and determine whether you will make or lose money from the development, before you invest a single cent.” – Benefit that is directly linked to a Result for your prospect.
- 3. Get them to trust you: You might still be wondering how you’re actually going to figure out what to put in your lead generation magnet – your prospects will be battling with the same scepticism so it’s important to address it head on. This is where you have an opportunity to authentically share the same frustrations, fears, concerns, and dreams. This can help you establish your credibility and reaffirm why they should spend their time listening to you.“I know how you feel, I had the same overwhelm when I created my first workshop, and I suffered some harsh setbacks and learnings! But I discovered a formula that let me map out my content in less than a day, making it easier than ever to create new workshops that my prospects are interested in and in fact, get better attendance numbers …and now I actually enjoy the process!”
Step 3: First impressions matter!
Before you can actually help someone with your lead generation magnet, you firstly need to make them interested in what we have to say.
It’s all starts with the Title!
Take the title of this blog for example, “How To Create A Lead Magnet That Helps You Make Sales”.
Would you have started reading if it simply said “How To Create A Lead Magnet”?
Perhaps you would have, but I’m guessing that the title we actually used intrigued you a little more.
Having a powerful, attention-grabbing title can ultimately make or break the success of your lead generation magnet in relation to how many people you can get to put their hands up and say I’m interested in this.
It won’t matter how good the content is, the title will impact people’s first impression on you…so make it count!
Here are three fundamentals that can help you influence that first impression and create a cut-through title that will have your prospects clamouring for your lead generation magnet:
- 1. It’s all about results: Remember, people don’t care about anything outside of “How can I get the results that I want”. So, let’s immediately tell them how.For example, maybe we could have titled this article ‘How To Create Content and Offers That Help You Attract Customers” – Benefit directly linked to a Result. Or if we’re a business accounting firm looking to help start-ups, perhaps we’d offer a Free Workshop titled “How To Validate Your Business To Ensure You Have Buyers and the Ability to Make a Profit” – Benefit directly linked to a Result.
- 2. It’s the cherry on top: Counter to what most people do, starting with the title is a sure-fire way to set yourself back and make the process too hard. The goal is to make this process as easy as we can make it, that means following a formula that doesn’t bog us down.Remember step 1 – start with the end in mind.Reverse engineering the process enables you to develop your lead generation magnet with the end goal/objective front of mind. In many cases, we may have 20 different titles we’ve brain stormed – how can we narrow down the information we want to deliver with 20 different potential titles? Not possible. The title is your cherry on top, designed to summarise all the great value that your lead generation magnet will deliver.So don’t worry if you don’t know what to call it straight away, let this evolve and come to life when you’re clear on how it needs to be packaged.
- 3. Test test and test: Getting it right the first time is not always a reality! But if you focus on understanding your target market and talking to the problems that they need help with, then chances are you’re going to come up with some winning titles to test. The great upside is that you can test. So, if you find that your titles aren’t working, test new ones until you find the winner.
Now your probably wondering “this is all great and I need it, but where am I going to find the time to create all these lead generation magnets”.
We can help you review your current marketing and sales process to help you create a lead generation funnel, based on the principles in this article.
If that sounds interesting to you, here’s what to do next:
Go here to book a 15 minute chat with our team of specialists to discuss your current situation and needs. The chat is completely obligation-free.
If you found these principles helpful, and you’d like to start building a lead generation funnel in your business to improve your sales, you will benefit from speaking to our team, lock in a time for a call here.
And if you’re one of those people that scroll right to the very end to see what this entire article is about, here’s what this is about:
- 1. How to turn your expertise and knowledge into lead generation magnets that can help you make sales.
- 2. Three steps to help you influence and help your market, to build trust and credibility.